Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Missed Connections


I miss my daughter today. Terribly.

So I just did this little thing I've been doing for the past year: I stop, and close my eyes, and take five breaths. And I pray, or meditate, or focus...I don't know what you really call it...but I take five breaths and think about the person or situation that's on my mind.

I didn't really know what to focus on. My ache because she wasn't here? No. Connecting with her? It seemed weird and invasive and needy to try to connect with her mentally while she was playing at daycare.


So I ended up just kind of thinking about connecting. About how I don't necessarily get my daughter. I think she's kind of strange and somewhat off putting with her constant verbal labelling of everything and her extreme introversion and her occasional tendency to bite, and on and on. How do you connect with someone you don't really get?


You spend a lot of time with them. A lot of time. So that's-a what I'm going to do. Moment by moment, build my connection.


No comments: