Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Little People

Anonybabe got this DVD from her grandparents last Christmas, I think. It looked insipid as hell, so it's been stashed away in the DVD cabinet ever since. Anonybabe found it the other day and held it up for me to see "Wa!" she exclaimed.

"Sure, we can watch that," I answered.

And lo and behold, I was kinda impressed. It shows all of these claymations shorts of "Little People" going throughout their day in the requisite world of sunshine and rainbows. But I like this stripe of rainbow. The shorts are aimed at really young people but cover such topics as:

  • Everything (plants, animals, people) grow at a rate that is intrinsically right for that being
  • It's great to be helpful, but it's even better to be loving...as in, love is the most important commodity you bring to a friendship. (Hear that, Thomas?)
  • When you love someone, sometimes it's hard to let them go, but if you do and they choose to come back of their own free will, it's sweet.

Not to mention a theme song sung by Aaron Neville that will have you humming "cocoa but-taaaaah" to yourself the rest of the day.

Contrast my new found love for the Little People with my continued disgust with Disney. Anonyhub picked up a copy of some new show that features Pooh and Tigger being super sleuths in the hundred acre wood. God, the story was bland. Until I thought about it, and then I decided it was downright infernal. Rabbit makes a supergrow potion for his pumpkin patch that accidentally gets on the little girl Pooh and Tigger super sleuth with. She grows into a giant and really enjoys all of the cool things she can do until she realizes that being big is a burden on her friendships - she is hard to feed, play with, and talk to. So she goes to Rabbit for a shrinking potion to make her small again. The subtext, as I see it? It's good to be like everybody else so you don't piss people off. Potions aka medical miracles can easily make you into whatever you want to be at a snap of your fingers. Ugh. Uuuuuugh.

Okay, let's cleanse our palette with the Little People theme song "Cocoa but-tah to the re-he-he-he-scue" :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzJwv4cH5A

P.S. I found some older Little People cartoons that are a little effed up...kinda makes me like them more. You're weird Fisher Price.



No comments: