Thursday, August 6, 2009

I just want to be adored, is that so wrong?

We have our second set of house guests within a couple of weeks, and Anonybabe has been forking out the canned ham for all of them. She loves the activity, loves the attention, and I suspect she is wearing out our more accommodating guests with her calls of "Guys! Hey guys! Do you want to play in my new room with me?" "Guys! Hey guys! Do you want to play dollhouse with me?" "Guys! Hey guys!" every few minutes. She is ebullient, and persistent.

I found myself worrying that our guests didn't like her. More accurately, I found myself worrying that all of our guests weren't enamored with her.

And then I realized what I was doing. I want everybody to love Anonybabe completely all the time. I get a little panicked if I think they are less than enthralled with her. I preemptively talk her down in front of other people. My sister does this with her son, too. We do this with ourselves.

The shifting of the baggage has begun! And it is bullshit! How do I stop myself from wanting her to be looooved by everybody? How do I stop myself from wanting me to be loved by everybody?

Sigh. Is there a way to love Anonybabe for Anonybabe and to love me for me? Warts and all? Over the top exuberance, and bitchy low moods? And let other people decide for themselves if they want to partake of us, and let them go on their merry ways if they don't?

I feel like I need some psychical therapy. Anybody know any good exercises?

1 comment:

Carissa Byers said...

Wow, I totally do this. P. always steals the guests and sneaks them into his room to play store for hours. :) And I wonder if they are annoyed. And then I think how I never play store...