Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Let the Healing Begin, PLEASE

So the screening for Anonybabe was ridiculously pleasant. Not to mention low key. Three therapists (one occupational, one developmental, one physical) met us at Anonybabe's daycare. Anonyhub, Anonybabe's teacher and I sat in a back room full of toys and foam steps and chatted while the therapists took turns asking Anonybabe to perform certain tasks: draw a line on a piece of paper, point to a picture, stand on one foot. She loved the attention; she loved doing the tasks.

After 30 minutes of this, the therapists each gave a quick evaluation and let us know whether they recommended any therapy: occupational - no, developmental - nyet, physical - yes, if we wanted to. More or less, Anonybabe has the physical prowess of a 17 month old, in a 29 month old body. The physical therapist seemed about as concerned about this as I would have liked to see her be, in other words: not very. We are going to give physical therapy a whirl since there's no real reason not to: it looks like it'll be cheap, pleasant, and fun for Anonybabe. We can back out at any time if we don't like it (which I don't foresee happening). It could make Anonybabe feel more comfortable in her body. Might help, couldn't hurt.

During the whole process, the daycare provider sat in the corner and cooed over Anonybabe, saying what a good girl, what a smart girl she was, how very articulate, on and on to the therapists. How she was just overwhelmed when there were other kids around and wouldn't try anything physically challenging. Why hasn't she been saying any of this stuff to me?! Further, why did I need so badly to hear her say it?

*Sigh*
1). I have a lot of old issues surrounding iq and performance that seem to be swarming to the surface with this whole fiasco.
2). I think I'm unnecessarily looking for a way to vilify our daycare provider so that I have an excuse to leave her. I did the same thing with my OB-GYN until I realized...she doesn't have to be evil for me to want to leave. She can be fran-freaking-tastic and yet wrong for our family.

No comments: