Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Far and Away

Left Anonybabe at daycare for her first full day today. It sucked. The nice, awesome owner who reeled me in with her smiles, and warmth, and you'd-better-dress-her-in-stained-clothes-because-we-like-to-make-a-mess-up-in-here-how-else-you-gonna-learn philosophy is going to be gone today. She was out last Tuesday - for Anonybabe's first short trial day - too.

When she's gone her Igor of a helper is boss, who has a grim smiling mouth and frowning eyes. "Come here," she'll say to her charges in a syrupy sweet voice. "Come here and look at these fish. Come on." I don't like her. Anonybabe doesn't like her. She refused to take Igor's hand this morning when she tried to lure Anonybabe away from me to play with their new slide. "Come on." Igor cooed. "Play on the slide now." as she shooed me away with both her free hands.

I heard Anonybabe crying as I left.

But then there's this. I'm at work, now, as usual. Anonyhub went to work for a couple of hours and then called me to complain about the radio show his co-worker was listening to while they priced records. "It was horrible," he moaned. "It was some talk show that was supposed to be about progressive politics but all they did was slam some woman who insulted Michelle Obama. Why can't they have a show about how great Michelle Obama is instead?" Yada, yada, yada.

As I nodded and um-hummed, I felt a shift and a clicking sensation. This felt familiar. This felt like a pre-Anonybabe shooting of the daily shit. For the past two years, when Anonyhub called I could hear Anonybabe in the background, yammering her head off, demanding to talk to me, demanding that he stop talking to me, demanding "gwapes". And vice versa on the days I call Anonyhub at work.

For the first time in 2 years there was no one between us.

And it was good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw. The good is totally good though!

We had an Igor at school too. Follow your intuition, heh. We ended up leaving the school. :(

---CB