Thursday, March 19, 2009

Miss Independent

Well, I'm fostering independence now, baby.

In the 2 weeks since I last blogged, Anonyhub and I farmed Anonybabe out to his parents and took a 5-day vacation, and then started her in daycare. Wham, bam, see ya, ma'am.

We've encountered a few tears, but a whole helluva lot less than I expected from her (some more than I expected from me).

I can tentatively say that I feel good about the daycare (activities! weirdos other than mom and dad! small people other than the one in the mirror! regularly scheduled food and naps!).

I can say that I feel good about the vacation without reservation. As much as Anonhubs' parents make me want to tear my hair out with every other visit, Anonybabe likes 'em. And if she likes 'em, well, bless. I want her to spend time with and know any family members she doesn't like - I think it's important to know your roots and how to navigate them - how much more will I encourage her to be around people she's comfortable with?

Why she would choose to be comfortable with these particular people, I cannot say. Every bad thing I can say about them is a little assholish on my part: all they ever want to talk about is how they're renovating their house; they're into recreational shopping; every food they make involves ingredients from cans, plastic tubs, or bargain meat bins; they all live within a square block or two of each other; they do not read; they never once thought about attending college; they hate all the movies I like and like all the movies I hate; they vacation in Cancun every year. Sigh. They aren't bad people, but they are often boring, tedious people. It doesn't help that they would probably say the same thing about me.

But everybody needs an emotional home. I never expected Anonybabe's to be with me, with us. Chances of that happening seem as slim as winning the lotto, with all of the factors that have to click into place, genetic and otherwise. If she feels understood by anybody I'm happy for her. That's hard to come by. It's something to cherish.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your back. It has been a while!!

anonymom said...

Hi, Kate. Thanks for missing me.

Anonymous said...

Where'd ya vacation?