Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My Ears Ring

I had a nice little moment yesterday, where I felt embraced by the universe.

A couple of weeks ago I walked over to a condo courtyard near work to draw some pictures. They were pictures I'd had an idea for years ago, but I'd never acted on the idea. And it felt really good to sit in the grass, in the sun, and just do it.

When I walked back to work I realized I'd lost an earring. A big gaudy dangly monstrosity that I love to wear. It is always getting caught in shirts and sweaters and scarves and falling out. "Oh well," I'd thought. "I was due to lose that earring sooner or later anyway."

Yesterday, I was feeling bummed and on the spur of the moment decided to go for a quick walk. I was thinking about how I never go for walks, even though they help keep me sane. I was thinking about the overwhelming drive I have to hunker down and stay put: physically, emotionally, spiritually. It gives me a sense of stability I crave, but I make myself miserable sometimes because I don't get the fresh air/new experiences/mini-adventures I need to keep life going.

And then I happened to look up and see my missing earring, sitting on the ledge of a building. Someone had found it and put it there. And I just happened to walk by that day and see it. I put the earring in my pocket and fingered it like a talisman while I kept walking. This isn't the first time those earrings have come back to me. It felt like the universe was saying "See? Get out and take some chances. Live life a little. Lose things. We'll make sure you're taken care of and have what you need."

Flight of fancy maybe. And a good one.

1 comment:

js said...

:)))))))))))))
love these precious lessons and reminders.

miss you my friend!