Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Nice and Easy

I had such a nice weekend with the Anonyfam. Pleasing in pretty much every way. And I'm making a mental note of the fact that it involved a hell of a lot of socializing.

I'm still used to thinking of myself as an introvert. And that's more or less true. I won't show you my hand until I'm good and ready. And it takes me a ridiculously long time to be ready. But once I am, I can really throw myself into my friendships.

Events of note this week:
last Monday: Going away party for some acquaintances. It involved hiring a babysitter and going to a hip little bar, drinking delicious alcoholic beverages and chatting it up amicably with people I'm comfortable with. It also involved a little low-key flirting with my husband and others. Mildly pleasant, and it ramped me up for the rest of my week.

Wednesday: Drug a protesting Anonybabe to the beach after work, where we ate a picnic and frolicked in the sand and waves until the sun set. Anonybabe fell asleep in her stroller in the walk home and I got to take a long hot bath and read a self-helpy creative recovery book that helped me see my way out of a funk I'd been in.

Friday: Storytelling round a campfire at a local nature center. Although Anonybabe chatted pretty much non-stop and we had to carry her away from the herd more than once, I loved it. The nature center is this laid back, hidden gem, and the whole park was designed by the guy we named Anonybabe after. Afterwards, Anonyhub had a concert to go to so he dropped Anonybabe and I off at the train station. At first I was resentful that we had to navigate home alone, but it ended up being fun bonding time. Any sort of travel with Anonybabe usually ends up being a hoot.

Saturday: Got up late, made french toast, cleaned the house. Then dressed up in our party dresses and went to a friends house for a barbecue. Small crowd, good drinks, tons of eating. Anonybabe surprised me by volunteering to sing happy birthday to the birthday girl, and then planting herself in the middle of the room to try to woo the crowd with "B-I-N-G-O". Chica liked being center stage. Who knew?

Sunday: Awakened early by a couple who have a child Anonybabe's age in daycare. They seem keen on getting together and hanging out, and so far Anonyhub and I both really really like them. They called to ask us over for coffee and pastries, and we went, we talked, we want to have each other over for dinner. Then Anonyhub and I scooted back to an interview with a new babysitter. A seemingly awesome babysitter.

So the moral? More social activities for yours truly. This introvert is ready to let it all hang out.

No comments: