Wednesday, August 20, 2008

At Your Cervix


I clicked here to support this idea. It's a documentary about how med students are trained to do gynecological exams. They showcase an extremely wrong way: practicing on women who were under general anaesthesia for some other procedure without first getting their consent (I know, *gasp*, right?) And an extremely right way: women who are trained to train the med students...and then become the practice patient. Did you follow me there? A woman who is qualified to train med students how to do pelvic exams takes off her pants, climbs up on an exam table, and gives expert feedback on how to insert a speculum. It's just so insane and brilliant. So they can talk nervous med students through how to find their cervix, all the while putting the med student at ease and teaching the med student how to put future patients at ease. I can't for the life of me imagine being the woman teaching the med students with her legs spread, but I'm very glad somebody is doing this.

No comments: