Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fanny


From Savage Love, July 29, 2004:"Judging from my e-mail, a lot of my regular readers, to say nothing of my fans, are out of their fucking minds."


I just created a facebook account, and was in the process of picking people I am a "fan" of: Dan Savage, David Sedaris, Margaret Atwood. Seeing the comments of other people who adored them reminded me that being relatively cool and talented doesn't ward off asshats who think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread. In fact, it just attracts them.


I luuurved David Sedaris essays for a few years now. I distinctly remember riding the el sometime in 2000 and looking around me at all of the people reading his books. They all looked like something out of American Psycho: well groomed and ready to snap at any moment. And I thought, is this me? Is this who is attracted to David Sedaris?


Maybe I am only attracted to douchebag magnets; perhaps I fit their demographic for a good reason, maybe fandom is just silly in general. Don't know. But it begs the question, when a person looks into the maws and eyes of their rabid fans, what do they see? A mirror? A need?




No comments: