Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fashionazi


You know, I like the way Anonyhub dresses himself. It boils down to a pretty simple formula of jeans and band t-shirts and hoodies, but he picks things that flatter his stick figure form and he pretty much always has good hair. It was a relief to marry a guy who likes to dress himself, as my dad and many of the dads I knew growing up couldn't give a flying fuck what they looked like, but their wives did. So an understanding was forged whereby the one who cared picked the clothes for the one who didn't. I even saw girlfriends and boyfriends doing this during high school, and I knew it would never work for me. No matter how bad my significant other might look, I knew it would never drive me to pick up the wardrobe reins for them. Why the hell should I worry about the way you dress if you don't? I have more interesting (to me) things to worry about. (Please know that I'm not knocking you ladies who like to dress your honeys and you peeps who like to let your men or women pick your duds. If it works for you, great! But it always sounded like a chore to me).


Anyways, I like my husband's style, but he is really terrible at dressing Anonybabe. Like, worse than she is. He consistently dresses her in the most dowdy, goofy looking ensembles she has, making pieces that are individually cute as a whole just ugly. It's on my mind because he brought her to the office today, a rare treat whose joy was, as usual, marred by the fact that my co-workers are seeing my little girl at her least scrumptious. She had on three of my favorite pieces: her lemon yellow hand-me-down Freda Khalo t-shirt, still a bit big on her so that you have to pair it with something small. Instead she had on her baggy jeans with pastel embroidered flowers, wrong in size and color. And then some brown mary janes with polka dots. To top it off, Anonybabes Buster Brown haircut was parted down the middle making her look more like a kid who rides the short bus than an adorable waif.


Sigh. Feels like I can't win. When I really put some effort into dressing her, I feel like I'm being over the top. But when Anonybabe looks goofy I get embarrassed. No wonder I never wanted to dress someone else. Too much responsibility.


No comments: