Monday, November 10, 2008

Bad Mommy



I think I need to start a "Bad Mommy" segment to this blog (inspired by the "Bad Parent" section of the Daily Babble magazine found at http://www.babble.com/ ...let's give credit where credit is due).




In it I can whisper secrets I can never tell my daughter, or the ones I hope Anonybabe never tells anyone but her therapist, or maybe her significant other in a moment of weepy vulnerability.




My first confession is this: the tonality of my daughter's voice is driving me crazy. She ends almost every word she says on the same high questioning note, particularly when she's demanding something. "Coo-keeee? Coo-keeee? Coo-keeee? Ma-maaa? Coo-keeee?" was one I heard a lot Saturday. She'll keep repeating her phrases, louder and louder, until I repeat them back to her, acknowledging that she said them. Here's a sample conversation:


Me, to Anonyhub: So, I was talking to...


Anonybabe: wa? guuuuuuuuh?


Me, to Anonyhub: ....Sarah about Obama's.....


Anonybabe: Wa? Guuuuuuuuh?


Me to Anonyhub: ....first cabinet picks......


Anonybabe: WA? GUUUUUUUH?


Anonyhub, from the other room: What? I can't hear you over Anonybabe.


Me, to Anonybabe: We're not going to watch anything right now, Anonybabe.


Anonybabe: WA? GUUUUUUUH?


Me, to Anonybabe: No, we're not going to watch any more tv today, baby girl; we're going to play.


Anonybabe: Noooo? No pay. Waaa? GUUUUUUH?


Me, to Anonybabe: What are you saying? You want to watch Grover?


Anonybabe: Yea! Yea mama, Okay. Okay, mama. Wa guh. Okay, mama.


Me: Fine.




Naive me. I thought that if I gave my baby enough attention she wouldn't clamour for it so much. Little did (or do) I know the vortex of need that Anonyhub and I created on that fateful July 4th weekend a couple of years ago.




So my confession is not that I try to fill my daughter's aching need for attention with television. I'm over that. Do it all the time. My confession is that at the moment I often hate the sound of her voice. It was all I could do to keep myself from mocking it the other day.




Bad mommy.




No comments: