Monday, November 17, 2008

Don't say

Put my foot in my mouth a lot this weekend. Rather, I wish I'd inserted it firmly before heading out to my events, although ultimately running at the mouth didn't seem to do me too much harm.

Yesterday took Anonybabe to a knitting group where I met a woman who seems nice. I have a recent history of wearing my neediness on my sleeve, so I bit my tongue when I learned she was a mother with two youngsters who lives near Anonyhub's work. "Give it a minute," I thought, after throwing a few giddy stories to the room at large that drew a few laughs and several forced smiles. "Self," I said, "the night is young; if you guys hit it off you may casually mention getting together." She instigated the play date talk though, and I proceeded to trap her by the cookie plate while I gushed on and on about how I'd love to find people for Anonybabe and I to hang out with, how I really need a local community while I figure out how the hell I want to parent, on and on and on. I all but slapped my forehead when she finally extricated herself and sat back down to knit. But it looks like she's as desperate for adult/child companionship as I am because she made an effort to come back and get my number at the end of the night. Joy!

Also might have blown the interview with another delightful couple at a brunch on Saturday. Saw them months back at a birthday party and really liked them. Have been pursuing them for months and we finally got together at their house for food. I still think they're fantastic, but the magic just wasn't in the air. I said a few things that fell completely flat, mostly jokes about parenting and Anonybabe.

What can you do when being yourself causes people to back away slowly? You sit and you wait til you find somebody you can spaz out on with immunity. My best friend and husband have taught me there is a weirdo out there for all of us.

No comments: