Tuesday, July 8, 2008

How Anonybabe spent the 4th

Since this is my blogspot dedicated to all things Anonybabe, I think it's appropriate that I indulge in a little oh-look-at-the-minutia-my-daughter-managed-to-do-today. I would try to punch it up and make it interesting, but I think all three of my family members got a combined total of 4 hours sleep last night. Teething. Sobbing. Tylenol. Etc. So I'm just going to transcribe a couple of things I wrote down that made me go "awwww" recently.

Anonybabe is into bringing her face down to her food to eat. In our hotel this weekend I laid a towel on a chair & set her at the table to eat. The table was about chin height. She began carefully and methodically picking up blueberries and cheerios and setting them on her seat and then bending down and eating them with her mouth. She looked rather pleased with herself.

I read to her from a book about Grover in Grover's voice. "Grover" is known to break from the script if Anonybabe stops to point things out to him. She's been known to sign to book characters when she's about to have some milk. This weekend she made the "milk" sign to Grover mid-story. "Milk?!" I said in my Grover voice. "Are you going to have some milk?!" "Hmm Hmmmm!" she says, in what has been her "affirmative" answer for the past week. With a little grin, she popped her pacifier out of her mouth and pretended to nurse, putting her nose about a half inch from my shirted boob and making a smacking sound with her mouth. She then takes the book and puts Grover's picture up to my boob, making the same smacking sound. Pretending to eat and sleep are a new development. 'Twas adorable.

At one point, my sister held Anonybabe down by the pool while her cousins swam and my mom and I worked on painting some megaphones for the cheerleading squad my sister sponsers up in my room. Anonybabe sat quietly on my sister's lap and pointed animatedly to her cousins every time they emerged dripping from the water. "Freckles!" My sister would say, "Yea, Anonybabe!" When they went back up to our room to ask my mom something, Anonybabe saw me and lit up. I waved, but didn't take her, and when the door shut and my sister turned to go back to the pool, I could hear Anonybabe's squally cry. I felt bad, but was tired and wanted to get my project done, and quite frankly needed a break from Anonybabe. Apparently Anonybabe wasn't happy but stopped crying as soon as they rounded the corner, and sat quietly facing my sister for a bit, until she was turned around to face the kids playing in the pool while my sister talked to our sister-in-law. When Sis looked into Anonybabe's face again tears were silently coursing down her cheeks. She hadn't made a peep; no sign she was unhappy except for those silent tears.

Anonybabe would sit quietly in my lap in the stands, staring somberly while we would watch her cousin play baseball. (I love going to little league baseball games, by the way...maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Anonybabe got into sports). But if we got down off of the stands and went to sit in the grass, she would suddenly come to life, climbing up and down, pointing and cooing.

She's been making animal sounds for a while (roars are a favorite) but pretty much never copied word sounds we made until recently. "Mama" is finally a part of her vocabulary, and occasionally she'll surprise us by copying a word in it's entirety. She said "cheese" clear as day while we were taking pictures a couple of weeks ago (not yet to be repeated), and while Anonyhub and I were talking about our fair city of Chicago in the car, she started babbling "Ca-Go! Ca-Go!" She won't repeat it on demand, but has occasionally mimicked it back. When our plane touched down from our 4th of July trip Sunday and the pilot welcomed us to Chicago, Anonybabe perked up and said "Ca-Go!" Will she be talking soon?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog for months, I finally took the plunge and have started my own blog. I've needed to get into the habit of writing daily, and I hope this does it.

I think you are really going to be happy in about 23 years when you are able to read the things you experienced with her as she grew up. The pretend eating and sleeping thing and interacting with images is pretty cool. Reading about her silent tears broke my heart, but in a good way.

Merci.

anonymom said...

It has been both more rewarding and less of a big deal than I thought it would be to blog. It's been great for my writing and my mental health to noodle things out online, and especially to know I'm sharing my thoughts with one or two people. Makes my little secrets and freak outs and embarrassments seem a little less dark and dire. Don't want to get too "I love you man" about it, but the longer I'm here, the more I love the blogosphere.

I'm glad you saw fit to start your own blog; I hope you enjoy jumping in as much as I have and that you'll send me a link to it when you're ready.