Thursday, January 17, 2008

Up up and away


As I sat at my desk just now, loudly rattling my way into a little bag of wonton crisps to put on my Trader Joes salad - I realized I am like the poster model of the stereotypical office worker who doesn't work: I blog and check my email, interrupted by snacking and going to the conference room to breast pump while I read novels twice a day. It's a sad little game we are playing here at my workplace, where we pretend to be productive and the bosses pretend there is enough to do to keep us occupied. I suppose I could do things like micro-organize the back files, but then I'd miss out on good salad eatin' & blog writin'! And since nobody cares about the backfiles anyway, here I am.

It's amazing what a couple of nights of good sleep will do to your outlook on life. I'm very much looking forward to a trip I'm taking to Pittsburgh this weekend to see some college buddies. A couple of days ago I felt too tired to even think about it. Anonybabe is coming with; Anonyhubby has had too many sick days now to take the weekend off and we couldn't find a babysitter for the weekend. Good food and lots of wine and laughter should abound. I'm glad Anonybabe will get to see me this way, with my girlfriends. I'm glad I get to see me this way. It's a different kind of good time, of course, than being with the hubby. He...well, I was going to say he likes to laugh but I don't know that that's true. He likes to enjoy himself: going to hear a good band, watching a documentary, planning a garden, writing a song, taking a long walk to downtown or the north suburbs and back, going to a movie - these are things that fill Anonyhubby's pleasure well. Drinking wine and getting raucous and attempting to make your friends laugh, not so much. He's very wary of substances of any kind, including alcohol. I'm generally glad he's the temperate sort, but sometimes I wish he would loosen up a lot. But that's for him to sort out (or not) as he wishes. I married him as an uptight so-and-so and I love him as such.

As for me, I plan to get girly with my very girliest of girl friends: wine, food, spa time, shoe shopping, all while trying not to neglect my darling daughter as I get lost in enjoying myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I'm glad too that you get to go enjoy yourself this week-end. Just who are you seeing? I'm curious.

Also, I am jealous of your job. Oh, to eat by myself! I dream of eating alone--that used to be what the pantry was for in our house in SF. Thank goodness for date nights!