Monday, March 31, 2008

The love of my life


Can I talk up Anonyhub for a mo? He writes lovely songs. These beautiful, haunting, jarring, I'm -not-sure-what-you're-talking-about-but-it-makes-me-think-of-that-one-time songs. Among my favorites:

Soon after we started dating he wrote a song about how we almost weren't a couple. I'd just gotten out of a relationship and so tried to make Anonyhub a boytoy instead of a proper boyfriend - keeping my distance because I wanted some alone time even though I was magnetically drawn to Anonyhub. He got, understandably, tired of being treated as a non-emoting fuckbot and was ready to bolt. Then the very night he was going to tell me g'bye we had a sweet date - a let-me-cuddle-you-from-behind-while-we-watch-an-amazing-concert-kind of date - and he decided to give me more time to come around. Good thing, because I couldn't fight the love much longer. The song is about the pain of being vulnerable to someone who isn't careful with your heart and the inner fight between being guarded and being open. It's just lovely. I mean, I suppose I could be upset that it paints me as a woman to be wary of, but why? I was. I didn't know what the fuck I wanted and was inconsiderate as hell. I'm flattered that he decided to stick around in the face of all his inner turmoil, and the song manages to capture his desire for love and his need for kindness over a beautiful guitar line. Emo at its finest, if you like that sort of thing. And even if you don't, you may be won over anyhow.

And then there's a song that he wrote for our wedding. It's about the attempt to connect and how despite the fact that we're each island and in a sense don't ever really make contact, trying to reach each other across the divide has so much beauty and grace in it that it's enough. What? A depressing concept on which to found a marriage, you say? Pish posh. Hearing Anonyhub express the same ambivalence and fear that I felt to committing made me love him more. And if you could just hear the opening bars, this spare picked-out guitar line makes you ache in all the right ways.

My only complaint about his music is that he won't play it anywhere but our living room. His job is partly to blame: he's worked in record stores since he was 14 and so has spent more than half of his life picking bad bands apart. He's also not that great of a musician in the traditional sense - he has no sense of rhythm and a high wheedly voice. But these songs! These songs he writes are so delicate and touching and inventive and beautiful. His ability to write them just exceeds his ability to play them. I told him last night he needs to play them out and see if he can find people who'll cover them and do with them what he can only do in his head. I wish I could convince him that the songs don't need to be perfect to be worthwhile, and that they don't need to be perfectly put together before he lets people hear them.

No comments: